Okay, so maybe TikTok doesn’t hate you (although if you work for a US federal agency, you better act like you hate TikTok and delete the app from your phone), but too much social media can make you full of hate. For example:
- Instagram’s dangerous effect on teen girls
- Twitter’s drastic rise in racist, homophobic, and antisemitic tweets
- Links have been made between social media use and eating disorders
- Social media can lead to an increase in feelings of loneliness, anxiety, and depression
Check out this funny video from Drew Gooden for more:
Last month, I made the decision to cut way back on social media- one hour a day during the week, and 90 minutes on the weekends. Every morning, I click the clock app on my phone, set the timer to the day’s allotted time, and then press it anytime I go on social media. And you know, I haven’t heard the alarm once. The best part, I haven’t missed the negative, click-baity stories, the ignorant comments, or the nasty trolls.
- Consider limiting your time on social media throughout Lent. Your psyche may thank you come Easter.